In Chinese medicine your lungs, large intestine, skin and immune system all reflect your Metal energy.
If your Metal energy is out of balance, this can be visible in your face, and may be driven by:
- Lifestyle factors like diet or smoking
- Life experiences such as dealing with loss
- Your constitution (are you a Metal constitution?)
- External pathogens – in Chinese medicine the lungs are knows as the ‘fragile organ’ and have the job of catching nasty coughs and colds when external pathogens try to barge their way into our bodies
- Seasonal change – the shift to autumnal weather can be tough on your Metal energy
A bright white complexion
When your Metal energy is taxed, for example during a chest infection, after a significant loss, or simply from your constitution, a ‘bright white’ colour may feature across your complexion.
Any hollowing in your cheeks suggest some depletion of your immune system, known in Chinese medicine as your defensive ‘Wei Qi’.
A line across your philtrum
Your philtrum is the area between your nose and your mouth.
If you have a horizontal line across your philtrum, this tells us your lungs and energy level will really appreciate some top quality breathing. Consider a discipline that works with your breath, like meditation or yoga.
Redness from your nose to your mouth corners
This is your large intestine channel, in Chinese Medicine. Redness here suggests inflammation in that area.
Taking care of your Metal energy
If your Metal energy is looking strained, take some time to look after yourself:
- Put some work into processing your losses, and setting free what can no longer be held
- Eat some ‘pungent’ foods like garlic and onions, to strengthen your lungs and your immune system
- Breathe exquisitely healthy breaths – give up smoking, take up Tai Chi or yoga or meditation.
And my Five Element reference cards are packed with other ways to nourish your Metal Energy.